Quotes in the News

“A diet of cheap and excessive debt has created a bloated financial system.” - Satyajit Das on the fall of the Subprime Loan Market in the US.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Get spooked!


For those looking to get a little “spooked” I have a couple of Vancouver Halloween activities that might fit the bill.

Haunted Forest Scream Train (Bear Creek Park, Surrey): An excellent opportunity for to take your younger siblings unless you are faint at heart yourself. A trick for this train ride is to sit with your back to the front. I went with my wife and another couple and facing the front of the train, I could see all the actors’ scaring participants further up the train. Overall it was great to see the effort and a chainsaw provided most the entertainment. The ride takes about 10 minutes to complete. Weather is not really a factor as you are sheltered in both the line-up and in the train (line-up was about 30 people deep when we went but moves quickly). The only suggestion I would have had was to have more actors or ask them to “jump” in and out of the bushes versus simply running along the train. Then again, I don’t think I am the ideal demographic this ride is targeting. Admission (Night time): 12 and Under $5.00, Adults $7.50.

Potter’s House of Horrors (12530 72nd Avenue, Surrey): This is definitely more up for those looking for a scare. The green thumbs of Potter’s have transformed their 9000 sq. ft. greenhouse into an amazing labyrinth with mechanical ghouls, tons of actors, and gruesome props. We called ahead and were told their was no line-up to speak of. Plenty of parking and most of those outside of the actual labyrinth are in character as well. We were Halloween “hopping” with the same couple but for some bizarre twist of fate I was forced to go first through the maze. This worked to my favor in some respects as I would actually pass some of the actors (I seem to have large strides) but got “spooked” more than a dozen times as they could see us coming around the corners. Not for younger kids in my opinion as there is a lot of gore and violent images used as props within the maze. Admission: 12 and under $7.00, Adults $10.

No comments: