Quotes in the News

“A diet of cheap and excessive debt has created a bloated financial system.” - Satyajit Das on the fall of the Subprime Loan Market in the US.

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Running on Vacation

My wife and I recently took some time off to visit family and friends in my hometown. There was a wedding to attend and I hadn't been back since my move to the Lower Mainland. A new worry for me, was the excess food I knew I was about to consume and how I could maintain my fitness throughout this period.

A plus for someone in the new found religion of running is that it is very portable. I packed my runners and Ipod along with my laptop so I could charge and download relevant data. Most of these items I would be carrying anyways so it isn't excess weight. There is no additional cost to join a gym for a week or do drop-ins (shame on you for trying to charge me $10 for a workout in the first place).

A local elementary school nearby provide me with ample room to keep me entertained and the lush grass provided the cushion i needed for my knees. During this particular trip I was not trying to improve on my best mile but rather try to build some additional endurance so my body appreciates the shorter, quicker runs. I logged 3 runs (6.7 km) which is great considered 2 days of the 7 were dedicated to just driving and one of those days involved a wedding.

Since then I have had several days off (unless walking around the PNE counts, and a quick 30m on my elliptical) but still recorded a personal best for the mile today at 7' 41". I logged an additional 1.77km after this run and felt like I could do more but wanted to get a workout in as well. The benefits I realized was not only from maintaining my running while on vacation but from a few days rest before I tried to beat my personal best.

My 2 thoughts anyways...

No comments: