Quotes in the News

“A diet of cheap and excessive debt has created a bloated financial system.” - Satyajit Das on the fall of the Subprime Loan Market in the US.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Stamina.....



The great thing about stamina is that if you push yourself hard enough, you are bound to get better. Over the last two runs, I have accomplished something that I was unable to do before (or at least look like I was asthmatic (no offense intended) while crossing the finish line). I have completed my 1 mile runs (1.6km) without stopping.

I noticed this today while I was running and had just completed by 3rd lap around the track. I realized, it was in me to do one more without taking my usual break. Now I was not trying to shatter my usual best today but just the fact that I was able to complete the run in under 8 minutes and do it without stopping was exhilerating.

There are many things you can do to increase your stamina but remember not to wear yourself out. Firstly, take breaks. For the beginner it sounds easy, for the intermediate its a bit harder. You are challenging yourself everyday and when you come to enjoy running you find it hard not to leave a day without hitting your stride. I have especially noticed this after 3-4 consecutive days of running at lunch and either basketball or volleyball in the evenings, when even my legs feel like that can't go any faster. The trick here is realizing wheren your simply tired versus your legs just needing a break. I will notice then when I run when I know my lungs aren't tired but I can't seem to move my legs any faster. Take your breaks and you will find yourself with renewed energy when you hit your runs again.

Secondly, mix it up. I find I do better if I am changing my running routine. While my goal right now is the fastest mile possible, I will throw in a slower longer duration run here and there. This keeps your muscles lose and engaged as your body is not being trained to shutdown after the first mile. I equate this to evolution. Evolution is a wonderful thing, and if their is one thing I know about evolution, its about making life easier. Human bodies adapt to their surrounding and if yours about being fit, evolution will make no exceptions. Our bodys get strongers and healthier so they don't have to work as hard. The trick is making sure you mind isn't shutting your body down because all you want is the first mile.

Third, don't just run. I have been engaging myself in basketball and volleyball as of recent. I will skip a run some days knowing I will be hitting the court hard that evening. I am competitive by nature and find myself working hard sometimes on the court then I do on my runs. Part of this is the mental game but what I am achieving is a different form of run in my workout. Much like farleks, the short burst of energy that need to come from your legs will do wonders for the explosion you need to gain speed in your run. This type of energy, I find personally, I don't achieve through normal training but its not what motivates me to that brink. Know what motivates you and change your run to gain the speed your need from something that interests you. Trust me, you will have alot more fun.

My 2 thoughts anyways....

No comments: